Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Purity of the Heart

Everytime I'm in the car driving, I think about this topic. Why? Because of this beautiful 'purity ring' my parents gave me at age 13 is in clear view on the steering wheel. The idea is that the ring serves as a reminder to keep pure until one day when I swap it out with my wedding ring. I love this concept, but the more I ponder and the older I get, the greater the meaning of purity becomes. It's easy as a kid to recognize the do's and don'ts of physical boundaries as a christian, but I'm realizing now that it's so much more than that. Not only my actions, but my thoughts, words, and attitude can either reflect God-honoring purity of a heart seeking after him, or my sinful hearts desires. The bible is so unmistakably clear about putting our sin to death (Colossians 3:5), but it doesn't end at that. We don't fight hard against constant temptation because it's the 'right thing to do', or because it will somehow earn us a spot in heaven or make us holy. Even growing up in a biblically sound church, my deceiving heart often loses sight of why I must fight. This morning as I looked down at my ring I was freshly reminded of a promise in scripture that gives me every reason to. A promise that is sound and reliable, and worth dropping everything else and fighting for... "Blessed are the pure in heart, for THEY SHALL SEE GOD." Matthew 5:8

No comments:

Post a Comment